Footage from the Weeks Act Centennial Festival held at the base of the Mt. Washington Auto Road, July 29, 2011 by Forrest SeaveyWatch Online »
[ June 2, 2011; 6:00 pm; ] USDA Forest Service Celebrates Two Conservation Legacies: The Weeks Act & The Life of Aldo Leopold
MILWAUKEE (May 23, 2011) – The USDA Forest Service is commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Weeks Act. As part of the celebration, the Forest Service has partnered with the Aldo Leopold Foundation to honor two conservation successes in one [...]Watch Online »
Comic Art Shows How We Got the White Mountain National Forest: Marek Bennett Named Weeks Centennial Comics Artist
Celebrations are planned across the country this year for the Centennial of The Weeks Act. This 1911 law, signed by President Taft, brought National Forests to the Eastern United States. The excitement is particularly great here in New Hampshire, since John Wingate Weeks, the genius behind the Weeks Act, was born and raised in Lancaster.
A video containing a short history of the White Mountain National Forest.Watch Online »
A video explaining the legislative history of the Weeks Act, passed in 1911.Watch Online »
- David Govatski on First Annual Stanley Russell Howe Lecture: “Environmental Legacies: Land-Clearing, Forest Use, and Conservation in Northern New England, 1820-1920″
- Randall Bennett on First Annual Stanley Russell Howe Lecture: “Environmental Legacies: Land-Clearing, Forest Use, and Conservation in Northern New England, 1820-1920″
- L Kenerson on 1936 Weeks Act Commemorative WMNF Map
- Raynold Jackson on “The Early Pathmakers”
- Elizabeth Irwin on Welcome to WeeksLegacy.org!